The Thompson Baptist Church was organized in the home of Mr. and Mrs. D. M. Livingston with the Rev. Jack Johnson of Cleburne, Texas as pastor on the first Sunday of July, 1934. Some of the charter members were: the Huffman, Watson, McMichael, Livingston, Campbell, Bell, Brown and Taylor families.
In April of 1935 the church bought the old telegraph/telephone building at Lillian and moved it to this location as it now stands to our right. It was quite a sight to see a team of mules pulling a building on logs that allowed the building to roll to its new location. The land was donated to the church by Mr. Brooks Thompson.
In 1953, the church erected a tabernacle that had a roof and no walls. It was only used when weather permitted. Fifteen years later the congregation converted it into an auditorium that was dedicated on the first Sunday of January, 1969. Two years later, the church started remodeling the old building into an Educational Building and Fellowship Hall.
In early 1984 the Church purchased 2 acres of land adjacent to the church property. Soon after, construction began on a fellowship hall with kitchen, restrooms and a nursery. This project was completed by the first of July, 1985.
An expansion project was begun in early 1995 and completed in early 1996 to add Sunday School rooms and additional restrooms. The men and women of Thompson Baptist Church worked hard at tearing down 2 older buildings for salvageable materials, insulation, 2 x 4's, 2 x 6's, 2 x 12's, plywood, a/c and heater units, etc., which helped keep the cost down.
In March 1996, this wing of the building was dedicated in honor of Mrs. Madlene Leonard, a Sunday School Teacher and church clerk. Mrs. Leonard was an admirable example of a great Christian and a member of Thompson Baptist Church for over 50 years until her homecoming in Heaven in 1998.
When everything was finished, a beautiful addition had been added without going into debt. Today, the church is completely debt free.